Charles E. Snyder III Marketing

SEO Myths: #8 All I Need Is On-Page SEO

Home  >>  Business Blogging  >>  SEO Myths: #8 All I Need Is On-Page SEO

SEO Myths: #8 All I Need Is On-Page SEO

How to be a SEO Myth Buster

How to be a SEO Myth Buster

The last time around in SEO Myths: #7 Social Media is not SEO, we destroyed the all too common myth that social media and SEO are not at all related.  That article discussed mainly just one of the many reasons that this myth got busted – social search.  To learn even more about SEO and how closely it is intertwined with social media, it is recommended that you at least check out the SEO Bootcamp and Social Media: CRUSH the Competition in 30 Days series of articles.

While social media is most definitely part of any off-page SEO plan, what about on-page SEO?  Shouldn’t more attention be placed on how well your website and individual pages are performing take up more of your time and effort than silly things like social media?

Myth #8 – On-Page SEO is all that I need

Usually this myth goes something like this; “All that I will ever need to get search engine ranking is good on-page SEO.”

RVHWD's SEO & SEM Services

RVHWD’s SEO & SEM Services

SEO Myth-Busting #8

HTML Sample: Meta Tags

HTML sample code highlighting the Title, Meta Description and Meta Keywords tags.

Start honking a horn because that notion is about as ridiculous as clown shoes.  As has been mentioned in several articles, including the first SEO Bootcamp article – On-Page SEO accounts for just 25% of your overall search engine ranking.  The other 75% comes from back-links coming from social media pages/posts and other websites, which is why Off-Page SEO is so very important.

Gone are the days of stressing out over your meta tags, keyword density, anchor text and so on – while these things still help, they should not be your main focus, nor should they dominate your time.  Think of SEO this way; fixating on just On-Page SEO is like trying to win a race while driving a car with only one wheel – you are not going to get very far.  Instead, focus the majority of your time, effort and money into getting Off-Page SEO done right.

“Off-Page SEO accounts for 3/4 of your search engine ranking – you do the math numb-nuts!”  SEO Gunny

seo myth busted

SEO Myth: BUSTED!

It should also be noted that with the growing integration of social media into search (i.e. social search), you can darn well bet that the importance of Off-Page SEO will remain quite high, possibly gaining a bit more over On-Page SEO.  The only thing that may counter-balance that growing factor is another growing factor that at least Google has been trending towards: website page loading speed – but that will be another article or three in the future.

Be sure to keep an eye out for the next article, SEO Myths: #9 Exact Matching Keywords and please be sure to share these articles with a friend or comment below.

2 Comments so far:

  1. […] sure to keep an eye out for the next article, SEO Myths: #8 All I Need is On-Page SEO and please be sure to share these articles with a friend or comment […]

  2. […] we were already discussing On-Page SEO in the last article, SEO Myths: #8 All I Need Is On-Page SEO, and crushed that myth with extreme prejudice, I thought a good follow-up to that would be taking a […]

%d bloggers like this: